Thursday, September 9, 2010

Goodbye Summer, Come Again!

          Haiti
My feet and South Beach
KMack and I in BK
Tomorrow is the 3rd day of my freshman year of college.  No it's not déjà vu, I'm 27 and a freshman once again :)  This summer was incredible.  There was hardly time for lazy days and lounging around, I was in the streets!  A lot of lovely evenings were spent in BK with my homies Katie and Steph, strutting through midtown, chillen in Prospect Park, drinking at the Beer Garden or Habana Outpost.  Met a nice guy out there too.  June the big deal was my Hawaii trip, July was all about Brooklyn, but August - August was international!  First my Uncle Glenn took me and my cousins to this awesome amusement park, Knoebels in PA for the 1st weekend of the month to celebrate me going back to school.  Great times!  One of the few situations where I could assume the role of a kid again!  Then the Monday I returned me and mom hit the road for...Miami!  We road-tripped and made it there Wednesday evening, with a kitten in the car!  Mom is still crazy, nothing changing there.  3 days straight I drove to South Beach and lay comatose underneath the summer sun, bronzing and basking in the fabulosity of it all, even had an impromptu lunch with a friend from Jersey.  Bought way too many beach towels but that's another story.  That Saturday, the 13th, we hopped a plane to...wait for it...haven't been there in 6 years...my mom was born there...that's right...HAITI!  It wasn't the wreckage and misery CNN would lead you to believe.  I believe that every time I visit Haiti I'm seeing it with different eyes.  I went often as a child, then at 10, 18, 21, and now at 27.  So many life experiences and so much maturity divide those landmarks.  So each-time is a first time.  Mom and I went to visit my grandma Monday and stayed till Wednesday.  The heat and mosquitoes made it a long, long, visit.  We were in Haiti 6 days total but I really want to go back next year, it's a part of me and I always feel a renewed sense of self and purpose when I come back to the states.  Best.  Summer.  Ever...so far ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment