Saturday, September 25, 2010

Growing Older Not Wiser

My mother.  My mother is both free-thinking and liberal and the most childish, emotionally stunted person.  She asks me for $60, I give her $20 right away.  Later she says let's make it $100.  WTF.  I'm on unemployment.  I get less than $300 a week and have a $400 per month car note.  Are you serious?  Today I give her $30 more because that's all I can afford to part with.  I have a life, it takes money to socialize.  She comes in my room inquiring about the balance, irritated that I can't pony up the rest.  She sees I'm doing homework, reading at that.  She asks me if a book she brought with her is mine and I say no.  She continues to say, you must read this book, if you don't you won't be a good English teacher.  What?  I've had to deal with her manipulative, overwhelming personality my entire life.  This is why I can be so stubborn when I decide on something, because I'm hyper-defensive.  As I've matured, I've tried to be more communicative and less angry with my mother but she makes that virtually impossible.  I tell her to put the book in my closet on my bookshelf.  She does so begrudgingly.  I try to express my frustrations with her manipulative tones.  She avoids my confrontation, takes the book back and closes the door.  How am I supposed to be emotionally well-balanced with her as my model?  I feel like her love is a blessing and at once the most detrimental force in my development.  How am I to contend with her?  Is the answer as easy as separating our lives, our living situation?  I doubt it, she's my mother no matter the geography.  I doubt therapy is something she would participate in.  I can't even focus on my schoolwork right now.  I have to address this. 

2 comments:

... said...

I admire your strength in maintaining your self while living with your mom. Moving out didn't even work for me; I had to move away.

You can always come nanny for me in Wisconsin while going to school, but I honestly believe you'd die of boredom living out here. Still, the offer's out there if you ever get desperate :).

Pascalle said...

Aw thanks for the offer! But no my mother and I both own the house so when I leave, she's leaving too!

Post a Comment