Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Lost Art

When is the last time you wrote someone a letter?  Remember passing notes in class?  Yea when you're in school you write papers and you might have to compose some e-mails for work.  But what about the types of letters that drive classic movies, or the ones from your first love that you have stashed away somewhere?  I'm starting to think that writing letters is becoming a lost art.  It's the best way to communicate because as much as it conveys thoughts and emotions, it also chronicles a period in time.  You'll never feels those exact feelings at that same time and therefore letters are like historical documents for average people.  I have kept all of the letters people have given me, love letters, family letters, bff letters, and it's crazy to read them and know that those moments are gone but forever captured within the pages.  Maybe I'm romanticizing a little, but I've been trying to write a letter to Dontes for like, a week now.  And it's not even that long, but I almost feel like my attention span is now so short that the commitment of sitting and writing pages is seemingly too demanding.  When I was younger I was shy and no boys really liked me and all I did was write to express myself.  In a diary, in a journal.  Now with all of these methods of communication, the most valuable and lasting form is vanishing from my grasp.  This is a sad day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment