Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Brotherly Love

Yea man, another great weekend in the bag, Sunday I spent the entire day in the house being available to Marcus as he hooked up our baseboard heaters and fixed other electrical issues throughout the house. That evening my co-worker Nasima called to remind me about a get together @ Bradford Brown's penthouse - art gallery in East Orange. It began @ 3 pm but fortunately I got there right when he revealed his newest piece, which is a tribute to brother's loving one another and the symbolism of giving each other pounds, the balance of masculinity and femininity, etc. The penthouse has a striking view of the NY skyline and every wall has as many original paintings as possible tastefully displayed. The event was an effort to raise goods for the survivors of Hurricane Katrina and there were also performers and food. People read poetry, danced, sang, there were African drummers, the ambiance was beautiful, and basically everyone there had natural hair or dreads, I was thinkin to myself, I would have been all in this about 3 years ago when I went natural...
Nevertheless I really enjoyed myself, Bradford was a real down to earth, cool brother, and his wife frequents my store on the regular, always thinking of new ways to sneak things into the house :o) Coincidentally she also goes to my gym, and it turns out that I have lost 14 lbs since I rejoined in July...so my goal of a tankini or maybe even two-piece in Miami is slowly coming into fruition. I recognized one of the poets that performed because he'd read @ Cecil's Jazz Club in West Orange. Turns out he's having an open mic on the 16th and my brother Brad said he wouldn't even come if I didn't read a poem, so I guess it's time to make it do what it do!
Overall though, I was just intoxicated but the energy and positivity in the penthouse, it was one of those vibes you wish you could bottle up and sell, or infect everyone in the world with, something I sometimes lose touch with while getting caught up in the day to day of life...so my song for tonite would have to be "Soul Star" by Musiq Soulchild "Soul star, oh you've come, so far, from where you started, don't be afraid, to let your light, shine on the world..." I'll
holla...