Monday, January 29, 2007

An Evening of Stardust...

So I've been watching BET's An Evening of Stars for the UNCF Honoring Aretha Franklin, for what seems like days, but it must be going into hour 3 or 4, I can't recall.  Anyhow, anyone who's relevant in black music (and Micheal Bolton) have performed  dozens of songs, numerous times, that she's made famous.  But I have a few observations for anyone who missed this barrage of talent or is finding themselves worn down in the last hours;  firstly, Natalie Cole has a voice that is good for some types of songs, but she has completely butchered Daydreamin', which is my personal favorite Aretha song.  She just can't carry the song, the range is too much for her soft voice and it sounds amateur.  Also, Jennifer Hudson (her first time out only), Fantasia (every time! she's a DYNAMIC performer), and Chaka Khan, ripped it, period.  Joss Stone was good but I think she was so excited cause Aretha is her idol and all.  Oh yea, Smokey Robinson is a smooth cat, but did he have a face lift?  Okay, so I guess I'm in this for the long run, they're about to drag Stevie Wonder out as usual.  I mean does BET have a contract with this man, he's on EVERY award program they have...

0 comments:

Post a Comment